A few questions on the SysV shl program

Bob Peirce #305 rbp at investor.pgh.pa.us
Wed Nov 15 01:50:43 AEST 1989

I have been playing with shl as a way to simulate a windowing
environment.  It works pretty well except for a few things which either
it can't do or I don't know how to make it do.  I hope somebody can
help.

1.	Write doesn't work to a shl layer.  We have a number of programs
to write to users and I would like to have them work when a user is in a
shl layer.  Part of the problem is the who command shows sxt### instead
of tty##, but even a "write user tty##" fails.

2.	Is there any way to start a shl session automatically?  I want
to put together something so users can type a command and have the
system create all the necessary layers.  I have already discovered that
shl sets PS1 and I can use that in my .cshrc file to initialize
pre-defined layers once they are created, but I want to symplify the
task for novice users.

3.	We use Wyse 60s.  If you are in 43-line, 132-column mode and try
to switch layers, the terminal stays set.  Is there any way to have a
local term setting and to activate it when you select that layer?

4.	Is there any documentation on shl that you can point me to?
--
Bob Peirce, Pittsburgh, PA				  412-471-5320
...!uunet!pitt!investor!rbp			rbp at investor.pgh.pa.us