Can not mail off-site, RTFM not much help

Jean-Francois Lamy lamy at ai.utoronto.ca
Sun Nov 19 19:05:36 AEST 1989

tale at pawl.rpi.edu (David C Lawrence) writes:

>You should be very careful, however, in mixing ! and @ style addresses.
>There is no universally accepted standard (of which I am aware; I am
>sure someone will flame me if I am wrong) regarding precedence.  The
>only operator used with third-party mailing in @ addresses is "%".

It's even uglier than that: some sites will interpret a%b at c differently than
b!a at c, even if they both give @ highest priority; experience probably told
David to write henry%utzoo.uucp at uunet.uu.net instead of henry%utzoo at ...  On
some networks the second address may have been interpreted as henry on "the
local utzoo", as opposed to the utzoo you will find in the uucp maps.  We have
live confrontations like that every once in a while (when the person meant the
physics machine on the UUCP net and got our department of physics, our
vice-versa).

Jean-Francois Lamy               lamy at ai.utoronto.ca, uunet!ai.utoronto.ca!lamy
AI Group, Department of Computer Science, University of Toronto, Canada M5S 1A4