matrix invert routine

Systems Staff root at cca.ucsf.edu
Fri Nov 10 09:39:50 AEST 1989

In article <1612 at xn.LL.MIT.EDU>, rkc at XN.LL.MIT.EDU (rkc) writes:
> I have "spreadsheet-like" data that looks like this:
> 	a1 b1 c1
> 	a2 b2 c2
> 	a3 b3 c3
> and I want to get it in a form like:
> 	a1 a2 a3
> 	b1 b2 b3
> 	c1 c2 c3

A small matter of terminology:

      This operation is transposing, not inverting.

Inverting a matrix is analogous to taking the reciprocal of
a scalar.

Transposition would apply perfectly well to a matrix whose elements
are not numeric.

If your data is in the form of a multi-column text file you could do
the transpose with standard Unix tools (I would look at awk first)
but if it is in some internal form for a spreadsheet program I would
look at the speadsheet first.

 Thos Sumner       Internet: thos at cca.ucsf.edu
 (The I.G.)        UUCP: ...ucbvax!ucsfcgl!cca.ucsf!thos
                   BITNET:  thos at ucsfcca

 U.S. Mail:  Thos Sumner, Computer Center, Rm U-76, UCSF
             San Francisco, CA 94143-0704 USA

I hear nothing in life is certain but death and taxes -- and they're
working on death.

#include <disclaimer.std>