Non re-entrant code faster?

Mike Anderson news at sean.UUCP
Sun Nov 26 14:27:42 AEST 1989

I just read in the November/December issue of CommUNIXations
an article on page 14 about an application-level implementation
of an OLTP system called Tuxedo.

The article says that "...servers are single-threaded and not
re-entrant. Thus, there is no system support for maintaining
'state information' although an application may provide this
support..."

I presume that this is done for faster performance but I am
not sure why it would be faster. Would someone explain this?

Also, what is meant by "single-threaded"? Aren't all
individual processes single-threaded (multiple processes
may take separate paths through the text image)?

And what "state information" would the system maintain for
re-entrant code that would be useful to an application?