vi editor enhancement request

Jeffrey Kirk captain at vax1.acs.udel.EDU
Sat Nov 18 10:53:04 AEST 1989

In article <11630 at smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) writes:

>The main thing "better" about EMACS over "vi" is that EMACS is modeless.
>Experience (backed by some of the usual silly academic "studies") has
>shown that modeless interactive editing is overall more effective than moded.

I use both vi and emacs, but emacs, modeless?
When is the last time you looked at your status line?
What are magic, exact, cMODE (hint-hint), etc... sure look like MODES to me.
I guess what you are complaining about is the "input" mode in vi, well
everyone has an opinion, personally I can't stand having my left-pinky-finger
glued to the ctrl key 100% of the time in EMACS (Editor for Morons Attracted
to Control Sequences).

-Person forced to use EMACS every day  :-[