Some questions about POSIX headers

Bob Lenk rml at hpfcdc.HP.COM
Sat Nov 18 10:16:07 AEST 1989

> According to Section 2.8.2.1 of the 1003.1 document, "If there are no
> feature test macros present in a program, only the set of symbols
> defined by the C standard shall be present".  This means that the
> symbols may be present, but they must be concealed by a feature test
> macro:
>
> #ifdef	_C_LIBRARY
> #define _LOW(__v)               ( (__v) & 0377)
> #define _HIGH(__v)              ( ((__v) >> 8) & 0377)
> #endif

I would lean toward interpreting "the set of symbols defined by the
C Standard" as including the possibility of any symbols reserved for
the implementation by the C Standard.  I see no benefit, and many
problems, with any other interpretation.  Consider that such symbols
might legally be reserved words.

In this specific case, I expect the macros in question would (or could)
fall within #ifdef _POSIX_SOURCE, which makes the issue moot.

Of course, this is just my personal opinion.  Only the IEEE can issue
binding interpretations

		Bob Lenk
		rml at hpfcla.hp.com
		hplabs!hpfcla!rml