SUID process disables modem logins. Why?

Conor P. Cahill cpcahil at virtech.UUCP
Sat Oct 14 11:06:34 AEST 1989

In article <939 at umb.umb.edu>, quentin at umb.umb.edu (Quentin Fennessy) writes:
> Scenario:  login at 1200
> 	   tbmode -k	| Kill turbo
> 	   do misc work
> 	   tbinit	| start Turbo
> 	   ^D
>
> 	   At this point, I can no longer access this port over the phone
> 	   line.  There is a getty running, and I have sent HUP to init
> 	   to reset it, to no avail.  When we dial up, we can see the modem
> 	   lights flickering.
>
> What is happening here?  I am stumped.  Unfortunately we are in a production

My *guess* would be that the tbinit starts some process that is still connected
to your terminal.  Try runing the tbinit as follows:

	tbinit > tbinit.log 2>&1 &

I don't know that this is your problem, but it is worth a try.

Other things to look at:

When you see the modem lights flickering which ones are flickering and is there
a pattern?  Is it the transmit, receive, dtr, or a combination of them?
Does the *same* getty remain on the port, or does a new one get spawned?
If you do a ps on the terminal, is there anything there?