An alternative to "write"

Jim Frost madd at bu-cs.BU.EDU
Sun Oct 8 08:33:52 AEST 1989

In article <681 at mcorp.UUCP> robcoo at mcorp.UUCP (Robin Coolidge) writes:
|Is there some unix/xenix command out there that can be an alternative for
|write?  I am thinking of something like phone in the VMS world that splits
|the screen and allows two terminals to communicate at the same time.
|
|I don't need anything fancy, just more usefull than write.

It probably isn't what you are looking for, but I have a program
called "msend" which sends messages over a network (much like "rsend"
but much more robust and with a lot more functionality).  This is not
a fullscreen program but messages are nicer than they are with write,
tagging each with the sender's name, and host.  A user can redirect
the terminal the message goes to when he's getting a message (even the
host and user), which is nice when you have networked terminals (eg
X).

If anyone would like this, email and I'll send it you you.

jim frost
software tool & die
madd at std.com