b queue max run limit reached

r.peterson roe at sobmips.UUCP
Sun Oct 8 05:18:52 AEST 1989

>From article <1006 at mgse.UUCP>, by marks at mgse.UUCP (Mark Seiffert):
>
> I am batching some stuff up to be done and i keep getting the message
>
> ! b queue max run limit reached Fri Oct  6 15:11:14 CDT 1989
> ! rescheduling at job Fri Oct  6 15:11:14 CDT 1989
>
>  Is there anyway to increase the number of batched jobs?

This kind of thing is controlled by /usr/lib/cron/queuedefs.  An example
(from our mips - but the same thing on our tower, and most SYSV boxes
 that I know of):

a.8j1n
b.2j2n90w

A wee bit cryptic, lad?  Yup.  There are three queues maintained (by
default) by the cron/at/batch/crontab system:

queue a - at jobs
      b - batch jobs
      c - crontab jobs

The syntax of the queuedefs file is:

b.2j2n90w means:  queue "b" (batch) can have 2 jobs running, will be run at
nice level 2, and (if jobs are rescheduled due to queue unavailability),
it will wait 90 seconds before trying to reschedule.

So, to increase the number of runnable batch jobs, change 2j to 8j (or
whatever).

Check "man queuedefs" (if you have it).

--
					Roe Peterson