UNIX "dot" files

Cathy Benney cathy at ncelvax.UUCP
Wed Oct 25 02:28:03 AEST 1989

	Hello. I have a question. Can anyone tell me why the

	"dot" files- .cshrc, .login, .profile, etc., need to

	have a "dot" as their first character?  What does that

	do within the UNIX system?  Also, are there a limited

	number of "dot" files, or can any file be assigned a

	dot as its first character, and therefore take on some

	special significance within the system?  (And if so, what

	is that special significance?)

	Thanks for taking time to respond.  I am working with 4.3 BSD.

	-Cathy Benney-
	-Port Hueneme, California-