How do I un-tar tar files I get from anonymous ftp?

Andy Lieberman andy at garnet.berkeley.edu
Fri Oct 13 08:40:00 AEST 1989

I want to get pcrrn running on my PC.  I found it on ucbvax
(pub/news/nntp/clients/ibm-pc/pcrrn.*)
I ftped the three files to my sun 3/50 and tried to use tar to untar them:

tar -tf pcrrn.1.tar.Z

This gives me directory checksum errors.  I tried some variations and tried
ftping the files from ucbvax in both binary and ascii mode.  No luck.
What am I doing wrong?

I was planning to un-tar the files on the sun and then ftp them over to my PC.

I have an ftp program on my PC, but I still wouldn't know how to un-tar
the files.

Please e-mail responses and I will post a summary.
Thanks in advance,
Andy Lieberman