Anyone with SI 8mm tape unit on unix system?

Calvin Hayden cgh018 at tijc02.UUCP
Sat Oct 14 03:24:12 AEST 1989

Hello world,

We currently have a Vax 8600 running a port of AT&T
SysV Release 2 Version 2.  We now do all backups to
a TU78 9 Track tape unit.  We are looking at purchasing
an 8mm unit from System Industries.  They offer a 8mm
unit and unibus interface, which they claim has operated
under a unix system.  According to them, the unit emulates
a TU81 "exactly", and is standard TMSCP protocol.
Anyone out there using their product
on a Unix based system - in particular, one of the unibus
models?  Email is probably best, and I'll summarize if the
results are worthwhile.

Calvin Hayden
Texas Instruments, Johnson City, Tn.
Voice (615)461-2254