How does man know?

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL
Tue Oct 3 04:33:34 AEST 1989

In article <2772 at crdgw1.crd.ge.com> barnett at crdgw1.crd.ge.com (Bruce Barnett) writes:
>Sure, everyone should have a workstation on their desk.
>But that's not the real world. If Unix is going to be successful,
>it has to support the commercial market.

(a) I didn't suggest that one has to have a fancy workstation before
pagination can be done right.  However, if one does have one, then
pagination done wrong definitely gets in the way.

(b) I have never thought that the UNIX Bourne shell environment is
one that should be pushed commercially as a naive-user interface.
But it should be available for what are now known as "power users",
and for them it is important to design on the toolkit (orthogonal,
modular function) principle.