UNIX "dot" files

David C Lawrence tale at pawl.rpi.edu
Thu Oct 26 15:49:24 AEST 1989

In <1464 at crdos1.crd.ge.COM> davidsen at crdos1.crd.ge.COM (Wm E Davidsen Jr):
bill>   ls will display these files with the -a option, which is set by
bill> default for root on many systems.

Minor correction: -A, not -a, is the option toggled on by default for
root on most BSD derived systems.

In <958 at friar-taac.UUCP> matthew at sunpix.UUCP (Sun Visualization Products):
Matthew> The only special significance of files with a leading '.'
Matthew> (dot) is that they are considered "normally" hidden.

It's what some have called a conspiracy between ls and the shells.  It
certainly isn't anything intrinsic to the Unix file system.

Matthew> Try an 'ls' and then an 'ls -a', and see which one you'd like
Matthew> all the time.

Actually, I'd prefer -A all the time, which of course can be aliased
for my normal usage.  It lets me know exactly what is in a directory
so I'm not bitten by, for example, someone else's .gdbinit.

Matthew> The only "special" files are '.' and '..'.  They are pointer
Matthew> to the current directory ('.')  and parent directory ('..').

"Special" by name, at least, with the exception of '/'.  Files can be
special in the file system in other ways, with directories, symbolic
links, block- and character-special files, AF_UNIX sockets and named
pipes all being "special" files in their own regard.

Matthew> As one instructor told me about UNIX(tm),
Matthew> 	"a file is a file, is a file .................."

What is this supposed to mean?  A parallel on the poem?  If so,
"File is a file is a file is a file."  Thorny nit, I realize. :-)

Disclaimer: I'm tired.
--
 (setq mail '("tale at pawl.rpi.edu" "tale at itsgw.rpi.edu" "tale at rpitsmts.bitnet"))