logging out a terminal

Nick Sayer mrapple at quack.UUCP
Fri Oct 20 10:57:15 AEST 1989

This is on a Momentum Hawk 32 running Unisoft V7 Unix circa
1983.

I am (re-)writing an idle daemon for this beast, and am running
into trouble. The original code I'm hacking to bits calls for
a routine "vhangup()." How can I write this routine?

Note that through experimentation, I've discovered that
killing the login shell will NOT terminate sub-shells for some
reason. Also, the local csh does not seem to respond to
SIGHUP, SIGTERM or SIGINT. It IS, however, responding to such
things as SIGFPE, SIGALRM, and other silly things. Do I
have to search through the process table looking for all processes
running on a certain terminal and send them SIGKILL? That seems
a bit draconian.