adb - how to do nonstopping breakpoint?

Doug Toppin toppin at melpar.UUCP
Fri Oct 27 08:26:33 AEST 1989

I use adb fairly often and have been unable to do something that
is touched on in the manual. I want to set a breakpoint and have
a variable printed out every time the breakpoint is reached
but I don't want execution to stop at the breakpoint. Every manual
I have seen has implied this is possible with the following sentence
in explaining the ':br' command:
"If this command sets dot to zero then the breakpoint causes a stop."
I read this as saying that if I do something that does not set dot
to zero then execution will continue. For example:
int i;
main()
{
	for(i=0; i<100; i++);
}
If, under adb, I set a breakpoint at the appropriate address and tell it
to print 'i' it seems to me that it should continue. For example:
(note that the instruction address will probably differ on your system)
	main+37:br i/u
If I print dot after stopping it is not zero, do I have to do something
else in the command?
If anyone knows what I am doing wrong please let me know, this is something
I have wondered about for a long time. I'm running SCO Xenix on the 386.
thanks
Doug Toppin
uunet!melpar!toppin