uuname -l

T. William Wells bill at twwells.com
Wed Oct 25 10:50:24 AEST 1989

In article <54 at gutarman.UUCP> root at gutarman.UUCP (Robert Hough  ---> System Administrator) writes:
: Can someone PLEASE tell me what file<s> that uuname -l reads?  I'm having
: alot of problems recieving mail, and it's because when I run uuname -l,
: it's leaving off the last character in my system id.
: Any replies would great.

First, this is the kind of question that is best asked on
comp.unix.questions and followups have been directed there.

But anyway, on my Unix, uuname -l does not read its information
from a file. Instead, the name is stored in the kernel and is
available via the uname system call. It is set by the sysi86
system call. You can use the uname program to set and display the
kernel value.

My manuals are inconsistent as to whether the system name is
limited to seven or eight characters, but experiment suggests
eight.

---
bill at twwells.com