How does man know?

Richard Tobin richard at aiai.ed.ac.uk
Thu Oct 12 00:32:09 AEST 1989

In article <713 at ccssrv.UUCP> perry at ccssrv.UUCP (Perry Hutchison) writes:
>I think this actually refers to the "Page Mode" of a "tty" window.  Strictly
>speaking, that is in Suntools rather than in SunOS itself, although there
>may be some kernel support involved.

Providing it in suntools (actually shelltool) is essentially providing it
in the terminal - the terminal emulator sits on the far side of a pseudo-
terminal, and the program typically doesn't notice that it isn't talking to
a real terminal.

The terminal emulator does have some advantages over the real terminal,
since it can detect whether the terminal is in raw mode (for example),
and could change its behaviour accordingly.

It would be perfectly possible to use a pseudo-terminal to construct a
paging filter; indeed it could do a lot more (line-editing for example).

-- Richard
Richard Tobin,                       JANET: R.Tobin at uk.ac.ed
AI Applications Institute,           ARPA:  R.Tobin%uk.ac.ed at nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
Edinburgh University.                UUCP:  ...!ukc!ed.ac.uk!R.Tobin