nfs daemons in device wait state.

Charles Hedrick hedrick at geneva.rutgers.edu
Wed Oct 25 14:26:10 AEST 1989

I didn't see the original question, but since we have seen and fixed
nfsd is D wait on both Pyramid and Suns, I thought I'd respond.

Pyramid:

We saw the problem on the Pyramid under a version early release of
4.1.  I seem to recall a report here of a similar problem under 4.4.
We moved to 4.4 hoping to fix it.  We succeeded.  However we are using
4.4c and a very recent set of PTF's: 1003.  We suspect that any PTF's
within the last few months would be good enough.  In general I have to
say that I'm very impressed with the reliability of 4.4 so far.

SunOS:

We saw NFS hangs on Suns under 4.0.1.  I've seen reports of similar
things under 4.0.3, though I suspect 4.0.3 has fixed at least some of
the problems.  Unfortunately there are several different causes of NFS
hangs.  Some result in servers getting nfsd in D state.  Others result
in clients hanging.  There are now PTF's available from Sun.  If you
have all NFS and file system-related PTF's from Sun installed, I think
you'll find that NFS works reliably.  Unfortunately I can't give you
specific bugid's or other information, since we worked with several
people at Sun for months to accumulate a set of fixes that got
everything.  We're still using 4.0.1, since we haven't gotten 4.0.3
source yet.