Can I display current time on the top/bottom status line

Joel Spolsky spolsky-joel at CS.YALE.EDU
Mon Oct 2 07:10:04 AEST 1989

In article <1621 at ncrcan.Toronto.NCR.COM> Tim writes:
|I am trying to find out if there is any way to have the time displayed
|at the top or bottom of the monitor on the status line (or anywhere else
|for that matter), all the time; that is, like a clock.
|
|Are there any shell scripts, or anything, which will do this?
|
|tim (nelson)     | uucp        ...!uunet!attcan!ncrcan!tim
|ncr canada       | internet     tim at ncrcan.Toronto.NCR.COM
|(416) 826-9000   | 6865 Century Ave, Mississauga, Ontario, Canada L5N 2E2

I wrote a C program that does this for VT100 and TVI950 terminals,
which have status lines. You run the program on the unix host and it
keeps the status line updated. It gives you the date and time, and it
tells you when you get mail and who it is from.

It could probably be easily modified to handle other terminals with
programmable, independant status lines.

If you are interested in receiving a copy, send me email: