how is tgetent defined?

Paul Gillingwater paul at csnz.co.nz
Fri Oct 27 07:30:43 AEST 1989

In article <948 at wubios.wustl.edu> david at wubios.UUCP (David J. Camp) writes:
>I just extracted the curses-clock.shar archive from comp.unix.questions,
>and it gave me an error that certain symboks were undefined, as below.
>cc -ltermcap -o gdc -O gdc.c -lcurses
>ld: Undefined symbol
>   _tgetent >   _tgetflag >   _tgetstr >   _tputs >   _tgetnum >   _tgoto

We ran into a similar problem recently.  There seems to be a trend for
vendors of UNIX to drop support for /etc/termcap, in favour of termlib.

If this is the case with your Sun, you might try using the terminfo
library anyway, since some of the termcap functions are emulated
using terminfo calls.  This support might be withdrawn in future too.

This wasn't a solution for us, because we extended the termcap we
use to add things like box drawing elements and other video attributes.
Finally, we found some Public Domain emulations of tgetent et.al.,
which I will be happy to share if there are enough requests.  I'd
rather not mail them, since we have to pay quite a bit for all mail coming
into and out of NZ.  The routines are from:
/*
 *	termcap.c	1.1	20/7/87		agc	Joypace Ltd
 *
 *	Copyright Joypace Ltd, London, UK, 1987. All rights reserved.
 *	This file may be freely distributed provided that this notice
 *	remains attached.
 *
 *	A public domain implementation of the termcap(3) routines.
 */
--
Paul Gillingwater, Computer Sciences of New Zealand Limited
Domain: paul at csnz.co.nz  Bang: uunet!vuwcomp!dsiramd!csnz!paul