Getting the most for a process.

Wm E Davidsen Jr davidsen at crdos1.crd.ge.COM
Thu Oct 12 23:59:57 AEST 1989

In article <40090 at bu-cs.BU.EDU>, madd at bu-cs.BU.EDU (Jim Frost) writes:
|  application more than its "share" of CPU.  It's also a lot harder
|  because you have to coordinate processes so many people won't bother
|  unless they really need it or the system makes such a thing easy (I
|  have yet to see a system where it was particularly easy to parallelize
|  tasks effectively :-).

  The Encore version of make looks at an environment variable and
determines how many copies of the ccompilers to start. On a machine with
8 cpu's you get a blindingly fast make compared to doing the same thing
(in serial) on a faster machine.

  Several companies claim they do parallelizing within a process, but I
haven't got the measurements here and the guy who has them is on vacation.
--
bill davidsen	(davidsen at crdos1.crd.GE.COM -or- uunet!crdgw1!crdos1!davidsen)
that the world is flat!" - anon