Xanadu

George Hoffer georgeh at sco.COM
Sat Oct 21 06:10:39 AEST 1989

Here is the latest on Xanadu that I received from all of you
gracious netters (Thank You!!!):

Xanadu was essentially bought by AutoDesk in Sausalito,
California.  Xanadu has a office/workplace in Palo Alto.

The phone number for AutoDesk is (415) 332-2344.
The phone number for Xanadu is (415) 856-4112.

At Xanadu, contact:
Bob Perez -- xanadu.com!bobp  | Manager of Developer Programs
             sun!xanadu!bobp  | write for more information on
                              | time tables

Also call Xanadu to get on their mailing list.

NOTE:  Both of these offices are in the quake zone, so be
       patient if you call the numbers for information.
       (I am also in the quake zone and the floor is shaking
       even as I type this letter.)

       Read "The Literary Machines" by Ted Nelson
       before trying to talk to them....
       Mindfull Press, 3020 Bridgeway #295,
       Sausalito, CA 94965 (US$25 postpaid)
Information gleaned from a call to Xanadu (10/20/89) built on
a flyer from Ian Feldman, Stockholm, Sweden:

January 1990 - Useful specifications to developers: full details
    on new library packages on front-end, back-end (FEBE)
    protocol (inclusions and links, addressing, versioning and
    certain new concepts.

First Q 1990 - Back-End Beta

In the Future:
Third party application programs from other developers
    for all purposes (vertical, horizontal and diagonal)

Multi-server version: storage and delivery program
    uniting all data into a single tissue, deliverable from multiple
    servers through BEBE protocol.

The Xanadu operating company is building a hypermedia information
server for commercial applications.

Eventually, front ends will be available for MS-DOS, Presentation
Manager, and Open Look.
from Ian Feldman, Stockholm, Sweden--
"The latest info on Xanadu is 'we know that it works because it
crashes,' straight from the mouth of Ted Nelson in June of this
year.  The first commercial application seems to be geared to
providing hypertext links to AutoCad documents/ environment.  I
hear the prototype's running on a SUN workstation and is terribly
slow."
Scott Schwartz:
"I heard Ted Nelson speak recently (college reunion, sort of)
and he made noises like Xanadu was almost ready to be unleashed."