How can I tell which users are making a mounted dev "busy"

BARBOUR JIM barbour at boulder.Colorado.EDU
Sat Oct 21 02:47:40 AEST 1989

Thanks for all the responses to my queary about nfs shutdowns.

They have mostly fallen into two (2) catagories.

> Try fuser.

Fuser is a wonderful program, but it doesn't work with nfs mounted file systems.
i.e. I can't specify a device and specifying the root directory of the file
system tells you *ONLY* if there is someone actually using that particular
directory.

> try ofiles.

I haven't run accross an ofiles which will compile on hp-ux.

Someone made a very good reply which said in part:

> If you have root access on the client, you should umount the file system.

s/he is right, however, I can not do that if someone is using the nfs file
system.  I get a message like "umount (2) on /alta: device busy"
so what I want to do is kill of those processes.

Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Jim Barbour -- Student systems administrator HP-UX -- University of Colorado...