Running processes as root

Aidan Saunders aidan%ncl.shire at newcastle.ac.uk
Fri Oct 20 04:20:27 AEST 1989

I have a script which needs to run as root and can be used by one group of
users.  I thought this was straightforward but it doesn't work...

This is a CMC machine running System V Unix.

The program prog1 is a shell script owned by root in group staff and of
mode 4750
ie:
	-rwsr-x---  root    staff    prog1

I want all those in the staff group to be able to run it.
When I run it (as aidan,staff), the first part of the script works OK but
that doesn't need root permissions.  Next, it tries to mv a file into /etc
and that's where it hits problems with messages about permission denied.

Apparently prog1 does not run as root.  Why not ?

What am I doing wrong ?
... & what do I need to do to make it work ???

Thanks,
aidan

ARPA :: a.c.g.saunders at newcastle.ac.uk
UUCP :: ...!ukc!newcastle.ac.uk!a.c.g.saunders