vi(1) on slow terminal

mike anthis anthis at sleepy.UUCP
Wed Oct 4 06:43:32 AEST 1989

A coworker suggested I beg for this flame, so here goes. . .

I would like some suggestions about how to use vi with a 1200 baud
vt-100 emulator (which runs on an IBM PC).

I know that there are quite a number of options for dealing with
slow and/or noisy lines.  Would anyone like to expound on what
some useful settings are?

The emulator I use came with a Hayes Smartcom modem card.  The
software that came with the card does the vt-100 boogie well
enough to get along with vi.

Incidentally, when I am at work and using my Sun workstation,
I would rather not be penalized for the choices that help me
work at home.  That is, on the fast tube I would like fast vi,
and on the slow tube I would like smart vi.

Please E-mail responses;  I'll gladly summarize.  If anyone
want's the summary posted, tell me so via Email.  Same goes
for E-mail copies of the summary.

P.S.  I'd welcome suggestions about non-vi work using my
1200 baud tube.

mike