Finding links

Doug Perlich doug at cogent.UUCP
Thu Oct 19 03:33:50 AEST 1989

This is more than likely a stupid question, but I'll ask it anyway, it's
one thing I'm good at.  (I did look into manuals, and no gurus around here.)

I ocasionally have problems working in large project groups when someone
has a link (using ln) to a file.  I can't find the file that the link(s) are
to.  (Different name, different directory).

For instance:
./xyz:
-rwxrwxr-x   2 george   us           24 Jul 21 10:57 ./xyz/foobar
-rwxrwxrwx   1 gorby    them        124 Oct 18 09:37 ./xyz/stoly

./abc:
-rwxrwxr-x   2 george   us           24 Jun 21 10:57 ./abc/foobee
-rwxrwxr-x   1 ronie    us          104 Jul  4 10:57 ./abc/huh?

Where the file foobar and foobee are linked together.

I might be located in directory xyz and I think "Hmm, I want to know what
the name of the link to the file foobar is".

I want to type "findthelinktothefile foobar"
and it will respond "/path1/path2/.../abc/foobee" and any other names
linked to the file.

Thanks
-Doug