Really General Backup Questions

Brett Kottman demon at thor.wright.edu
Fri Oct 6 08:06:01 AEST 1989

>From article <2293 at hydra.gatech.EDU>, by mm42 at prism.gatech.EDU (Mark Mitchell):
> I'm interested in hearing what schemes people use for backing up clusters
> of workstations (in my case Sun 386i's and SPARC's).  Is 'tar' normally
> used for this?  Is there any problem with running the backup as an
> overnight 'cron' job?  Are there any common script files or other utilities
> for this purpose?

	I used to use SNAP on the 386i machine(s) but it caused more
problems than it solved. :)  So I went to tar (or bar is ok).  If you
want to make it an overnight, make sure it will only take one cartridge
or the computer will be waiting (for another cartridge) until you get to
it.  This is not a nice condition to be in if a power failure occurs.