IRC - Internet Relay Chat Program???

Jari Dahlgren jarid at mea.utu.fi
Sat Oct 21 07:19:48 AEST 1989

On Thu, 19 Oct 89 18:29:09 EDT  Dan Gosner <danl at MIDGET.TOWSON.EDU> wrote:
> Has anyone heard of IRC - Internet Relay Chat?  A user on my system has
> come up with this and wants me to install it.  What I'm really interested
> in is, is it going to bury my system or my network?  I agree that it probably
> isn't the worlds best use of network bandwidth.  How popular is it?  What can
> I expect if I'm foolish enough to install it?

  In BITNET there is a RELAY network, which I believe is a model for IRC,
(though I am not sure) at least commands etc look very much alike.

  In BITNET it has limits on usage, but that network is traditionally 9600 bps
BISYNC communications, so things tend to be different with 56kbps Internet...

  One place we know about having IRC is   tolsun.oulu.fi, just do a anonymous
FTP there and look for directory 'irc'.  I am sure it is also in USA somewhere
(we are in finland), but I don't have a clue about where.  That directory has
readable documents for further info.

> Thanx in advance.
> Dan Gosner				Internet: danl at midget.towson.edu
> Operations Manager				  DGosner at TOE.TOWSON.EDU
> Towson State University			Bitnet:   DGosner at TOWSONVX
> Academic Computing
> Towson, Maryland  21204

	/Matti Aarnio	<mea at mea.utu.fi>
		(impersonating as one of guest users with his permission)