Getting the most for a process.

Chris Torek chris at mimsy.UUCP
Fri Oct 13 04:39:31 AEST 1989

In article <1029 at crdos1.crd.ge.COM> davidsen at crdos1.crd.ge.COM
(Wm E Davidsen Jr) writes:
>  The Encore version of make looks at an environment variable and
>determines how many copies of the ccompilers to start. On a machine with
>8 cpu's you get a blindingly fast make compared to doing the same thing
>(in serial) on a faster machine.

(Not if the serial machine is more than 8 times faster, or if there is
only one source file.)

Unfortunately, the Encore version of cc, which is apparently a Greenhills
C compiler, has all of its `phases' built in.  Thus, if you are compiling
a single file, you cannot preprocess on cpu 0, compile on cpu 1, and
assemble on cpu 2 all at the same time.

Given the standard edit/compile/debug cycle, this---combining
everything---seems to me to be a major mistake.  Well, not so major as
all that, perhaps, since most of the time is spent in the compilation
part, not in preprocessing or assembly.  Still, the potential was
there, and would return if Encore used gcc as their standard compiler.
Domain:	chris at cs.umd.edu	Path:	uunet!mimsy!chris