pic

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL
Wed Oct 11 16:47:54 AEST 1989

In article <46215f96.81da at digital.sps.mot.com> chen at digital (Jinfu Chen) writes:
>Every once a while I find some *roff documents include simple pictures
>to be processed via `pic'. Where's this `pic' program comes from?

"pic" is part of the Documenter's WorkBench package licensed by AT&T.
Sometimes DWB is bundled with a vendor's implementation of UNIX,
sometimes it is available from the vendor as an extra-cost option,
and sometimes you have to turn to a third party (e.g. Elan, SoftQuad)
to obtain it.  I know of no public-domain implementation of "pic".