How does man know?

Guy Harris guy at auspex.auspex.com
Sun Oct 8 06:47:28 AEST 1989

>I think this actually refers to the "Page Mode" of a "tty" window.

As he noted, it was.

>Strictly speaking, that is in Suntools rather than in SunOS itself,

Well, it depends on what you mean by "SunOS itself"; SunView is shipped
with SunOS, so it could conceivably be considered a part of SunOS.

>although there may be some kernel support involved.

None, other than the pseudo-ttys that make (user-mode) terminal
emulators like "shelltool" and "xterm" and the like possible.

>Unfortunately, the Suntools implementation is incomplete.  It works fine as
>long as the window is connected to a local process, but if I rlogin to
>another node it acts as if I had disabled page mode and I have to fall back
>on "more" or ^S/^Q (which do still work).

It turns Page Mode off when the tty driver goes into uncooked mode,
which "rlogin" does, as well as other programs like "vi".  I think the
intent is to avoid confusing programs that go into uncooked mode....