Getting the most for a process.

Doug Perlich doug at cogent.UUCP
Wed Oct 11 06:18:01 AEST 1989

I have recently become interested in having an application program run as fast
as possible!  (Sound familiar)?

What I am interested in is how can a program get a higher priority at run time.
More exactly what other methods are there to get screaming performance out of
a UNIX machine.
As I understand it only root can use a negative nice to make a program run
faster, are there ways of dedicating a processor (w/ or wo/ a multiprocessor)?

I am mainly interested in a multi-user system.

It seems to me the answer is no because then every programmer would try this
in his/her code and the system would halt.

-Doug.
.
.