Termcap needed for tektronix 4025

Randal Schwartz merlyn at iwarp.intel.com
Thu Oct 5 00:22:11 AEST 1989

In article <11192 at smoke.BRL.MIL>, gwyn at smoke (Doug Gwyn) writes:
| In article <1989Sep28.165050.5839 at uunet!unhd> rgd611 at uunet!unhd (R. G. Desroches II) writes:
| >I am using Ultrix-32 V3.2 with a tektronix 4025.  I need a termcap ...
|
| The Tek4025 is without doubt one of the most poorly designed terminals
| ever made.  I would advise getting a better terminal.

I was saddled with a whole slew of those boat anchors while working in
a pubs department over at Tek.  We trashed 'em and bought AnnArbor's
(at a quarter of the cost, even considering the Tek internal
discount!).

One other very bad misfeature (of the *many*) was that repeated
insert/delete-character or insert/delete-line didn't actually remove
stuff from memory (they did everything with internal linked lists; I
saw the spec), and after a while, the display processor couldn't scan
enough "jump-to-there... now jump-to-here" memory references during
the horizontal trace and got really confused and put multiple cursors
on the screen, usually jiggling badly in the process.  The only thing
that cleared memory was a "clear screen", so 'vi' users tended to hit
the ^L a lot if they were doing a lot of relatively confined editing.
(Of course, if a user "interrupts" the command sequences being sent by
the host, garbage appeared on the screen, so ^L was learned *real*
fast...)

Tek makes good scopes.  The rest?  Well, uh, ... Tek makes good
scopes... :-)
--
/== Randal L. Schwartz, Stonehenge Consulting Services (503)777-0095 ====\
| on contract to Intel's iWarp project, Hillsboro, Oregon, USA, Sol III  |