status of 4.3 math library (libm)

Rich Salz rsalz at bbn.com
Tue Oct 24 01:39:20 AEST 1989

>Is the 4.3 BSD math library freely redistributable? I've seen it on some
>comp.sources.unix archive sites, but others don't have it or have the
>legend "NOT AVAILABLE" in the index.

NO!

The bulk of the library was written by people at UCB -- all but three
functions.  Unfortunately, the UCB authors were NOT McKusicK, Bostic,
and the usual crew.  Among other things, this meant they were much
less careful about copyrights, code licensing, and so on, so they just
slapped THEIR copyright on all the code, and turned it over for release.

As I result, the person who submitted it to me was led astray, so was I,
and so were some archivers.  There have been a couple of posts that have
since explained the situation.

We would all appreciate it if you would forward this message on to any
archive maintainers where you see the 4.3 mathlib.

At some point there MAY be a reimplementation and a distribution, but
not yet.

Thanks for your cooperation.
	/Rich $alz, comp.sources.unix moderator
--
Please send comp.sources.unix-related mail to rsalz at uunet.uu.net.
Use a domain-based address or give alternate paths, or you may lose out.