Making a named pipe over NFS

Richard O'Keefe ok at cs.mu.oz.au
Sat Oct 14 17:02:35 AEST 1989

In article <3208 at rti.UUCP>, trt at rti.UUCP (Thomas Truscott) writes:
> Give me a break!  Modern versions of NFS can create named pipe _entries_
> in remote filesystems, but the _contents_ of the pipe never
> leave the client.  Processes on different clients
> CAN NOT share data using a common named pipe,
> because under NFS it just doesn't work that way.
> Each different client gets its own local instance of the pipe.
> To say that "NFS supports remote named pipes" is highly misleading.

Thank you very much for the clarification.
(I was careful to avoid saying that NFS supports named pipes;
 only to claim that I could apparently make one over NFS.)
If it's not going to work, I do wish /etc/mknod would have
the courtesy to report and error and not do anything rather
than give me an empty file or a named pipe I can't use.

> Our group at RTI has a neat distributed file/computing system
> called Freedomnet ...

Surely it isn't advertising if you're _asked_, so, tell us more
about Freedomnet.  How different is it from TCF?