saving directories when they don't fit on 1 tape

Conor P. Cahill cpcahil at virtech.UUCP
Thu Oct 5 10:15:04 AEST 1989

In article <228 at rsiatl.UUCP>, jgd at rsiatl.UUCP (John G. De Armond) writes:
> In article <1220 at virtech.UUCP> cpcahil at virtech.UUCP (Conor P. Cahill) writes:
> >Cpio does not allow this.  You must enter the name of the output device for
> >each follow on tape. This is the most agravating feature of any unix utility
> >that I use.   Invariably I will absent mindedly hit just a return on the 12th
> >diskette and have to remake the entire set.
> >
> >I would prefer the mechanism that you specify or at least a mechanism that
> >requires a confirmation that you wish to abort the archiving.
> >

> Wrong.  If you will read the fine print while you are RTFM, you will note
> that this mode of operation only happens when you redirect the output
> of cpio to a tape device.  If  you instead use the -O option to tell
> cpio what device to use, it will happily continue using the same device.

The -O option only came into being in release 3.1 (or 3.2, not sure which).
It was not present in release 3.0 or earlier releases.  Not knowing the
release of the other user it is best to stay with the lowest common
denominator. (and the BSDers will quickly point out that BSD doesn't have
cpio so how can it be an LCD).