structure of /usr/adm/lastlog

Roger Cornelius rac at sherpa.uucp
Sat Oct 28 05:18:31 AEST 1989

I recently wrote a small program which runs from etc/profile to keep
track of user login times on our Altos.  It uses usr/adm/lastlog to store
the information in.  I later found that the (supplied by Altos) bsd
finger command also uses usr/adm/lastlog when printing info about a user
who isn't currently logged in.  I'd like to change my program to use
the same structure that finger expects the file to be in.

I retrieved the finger source from uunet's bsd archives, but the header
which describes the lastlog file format, "lastlog.h", was not included,
and also doesn't exist anywhere else on uunet (nor was it included with
our Altos system).  This apparently is a standard (located in /usr/include)
header file on bsd systems.

Can someone on a bsd system send me lastlog.h (if copyright permits),
or at least describe the lastlog file format for me in enough detail
that I can fix my own program so it will work with finger?

Thanks, Roger
--
Roger A. Cornelius           rac at sherpa            uunet!sherpa!rac