ditroff metrics

Delbert R Hillers cal at jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU
Tue Oct 3 06:20:53 AEST 1989

We are using ditroff and Adobe's Transcript package to convert the ditroff
code to Postscript. In general this works fine. However, I have run into a
curious problem with ditroff that I would appreciate help with.
I have written seveal Postscript fonts for non-Roman alphabets and have
gotten all the related ditroff files together to use these fonts in ditroff
formatted documents. These fonts contain characters encoded in both high
and low ascii position and therein lies the problem. All of the characters
print correctly. However, the metrics for the high ascii encoded characters
are incorrect. A check of the ditroff file shows that somewhere along the
way the metric values for the corresponding high ascii character in the
Times-Roman font was used instead of the value appearing in the ditoff
font description file. The low ascii characters are not affected at all.
The proper metrics values are gotten for them.
Any suggested solutions or information would be appreciated. Email is fine.