Robust Mounts

Dikran Kassabian deke at ee.rochester.edu
Wed Jan 10 09:06:29 AEST 1990

In article <10284 at zodiac.ADS.COM> mliverig at spark.uucp writes:
>A few months back there was a discussion about making "nfs" networks
>robust. It was my impression that there was a consensus that:
>
>1) Soft mounts of read-write file systems would increase the risk of
>corrupting the file systems.

I agree with this, and stick to it as a loose rule.  There are some occasions
when I ignore it, after thinking it over carefully.

>2) Automounting was a good idea that was not yet safe.

This is what caught my eye.  I have been reading up on, and testing, automounter
for the last week and a half.  Why was it considered 'not yet safe'?  I have
apparently missed an important discussion.

      ^Deke Kassabian,   deke at ee.rochester.edu   or   ur-valhalla!deke
   Univ of Rochester, Dept of EE, Rochester, NY 14627     (+1 716-275-3106)