Berkeley Job Control on Hewlett-Packard

Jerome Freedman freedman at granite.cr.bull.com
Tue Jan 9 07:36:00 AEST 1990

	I am currently involved in a project requiring the management of two or
more processes using the same terminal, but under control of a server. I believe
that job control is required, but my initial attempts at implementing the
project have met with (dismal) failure. This is most discouraging, especially
in the light of successful attempts using the same implementation on two other
manufacturer's UNIX machines.

	Specifically, I wish to use the following system calls:

		ioctl(0, TIOCSPGRP, &pid)
		kill(pid, SIGSTOP);
		kill(pid, SIGCONT);

Any ideas on why these calls seem to behave differently on the HP than on other
systems?