Recalling Commands in Unix?

Guy Harris guy at auspex.auspex.com
Wed Jan 3 14:19:46 AEST 1990

>Um, yes.  "Um" because it isn't technically Unix, but merely an
>application written for Unix -- namely, the shell.

(Well, that depends on what you consider "UNIX" to be; some consider
those programs delivered with UNIX to be part of it, others don't.)

>If you are on an AT & T box (semi-doubtful; University sites tend to
>run BSD, but assumption making about what someone is running is just
>plain fool-hardy) look into getting ksh from the AT & T Toolchest.  It
>supports both Emacs-like and vi-like editing modes.

"ksh" is supplied in source form, so you're not restricted to "AT&T
boxes" (i.e., 3Bs, their 80*86 machines, and the like); you're not even
restricted to machines running System V - it can be built
under BSD-flavored systems, and possibly even under vanilla BSD.

It does cost about $2K-$3K for the source, as I remember, though.