Who uses 'adb' debugger? (Supplementary to my own question.)

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL
Sat Jan 13 08:40:26 AEST 1990

In article <50349 at bu.edu.bu.edu> clement%buengf.bu.edu at bu-cs.bu.edu (Clement Lee) writes:
>My friend in CS told me that gdb (GNU) and cdb are better than sdb or
>adb, and gdb is the best, but to run gdb, the C program has to be
>compiled by gcc.  But I still have no idea of what is better.

You don't normally have much choice on a given system.
Anyway, this tends to be a "religious" issue like the one about
which text editor is best.
"pi" is better than all the ones you mention, but you're unlikely
to have it available.  (There is a version available for use with
downloaded DMD or MTG processes.)
SGI provides "edge" on the 4D Irix systems.  It's comparable to
the source-level debuggers you find in PC environments.
I often resort to "adb" when it's available, primarily in order to
avoid complications when getting at the real machine code.