(none)

Bob Sutterfield bob at MorningStar.Com
Thu Jan 4 05:44:44 AEST 1990

In article <21937 at adm.BRL.MIL> gnma76%sun1.eng.glasgow.ac.uk at nsfnet-relay.ac.uk (D.Ballance) writes:
   We have recently got an Intel-386 machine running Interactive Unix.
   We want to be able to backup the disk on a tape drive on a remote
   Sun workstation.  Does anyone do this, or can anyone point me at
   the correct part of TFM.  All suggestions gratefully recieved.

Try running GNU tar on the diskful machine, talking to /etc/rmt on the
tapeful machine.  Say something like "gtar -c -f foo:/dev/rst1 ."
where foo has a tape attached and . is what you want to back up.

If you don't have /etc/rmt, the sources come with GNU Tar.