How to do a non-blocking write of more than one char?

brnstnd at stealth.acf.nyu.edu brnstnd at stealth.acf.nyu.edu
Sun Jan 7 08:47:53 AEST 1990

I'd like to write to a file descriptor without blocking. select() tells
me that I can write at least one character, but I don't want to have to
write the characters individually. The FNDELAY fcntl() is inappropriate
because it affects other processes.

If select() says the fd is writable, is the write() guaranteed not to
block? In that case, as long as it isn't interrupted, will the write()
always return the correct count of characters written? If not, is there
a solution?

---Dan