Compress problem

Tin Le tinle at aimt.UU.NET
Thu Jan 18 04:41:13 AEST 1990

In article <493 at dhump.lakesys.COM>, mort at dhump.lakesys.COM (Mort d`Hump) writes:
] I am having trouble using compress to de-compress large .Z files.
]
] The operation terminates with a "File too large" error.
]
] I have a PLEXUS P-20 running vanilla Sys VR2 w/ 2Meg of RAM and over
] 25 Meg of free space on the file system I am working in.
]
] The results of compress -V:
] Based on compress.c,v 4.0 85/07/30 12:50:00 joe Release
]
] This is the first file I have trouble with:
] mort     users    1059441 Dec 21 21:01 SML3.1.cpio.Z
]
] Does anyone have any pointers?

The problem is your ulimit is too low.  If you are in sh, check by simply
typing ulimit.  That will give you a number telling you the current ulimit.
My guess is that it's set to the default of 2048 blocks (2MB).  Increase
that and you will be fine.  If you are using csh, you will need to change
to sh (temporarily) while you are uncompressing the file.

One more note: you will need root privilege in order to change your ulimit.

-- Tin Le

--
Tin Le                    |  UUCP: {wyse, claris, uunet}!aimt!tinle
Sr. Software Engineer     |  Internet: tinle at aimt.uu.net
AIM Technology            | XBBS (408)-739-1520  19.2K Telebit+
Santa Clara, CA 95054     | "'tis an ill wind that blows no mind..."