Why does rsh give "Permission denied"?

Brian Fitzgerald fitz at mml0.meche.rpi.edu
Wed Feb 27 14:19:50 AEST 1991

Jonathan I. Kamens writes:
>  3) Make sure the .rhosts file is owned by you, and does not have group or
>world read, write, or executable bits set on it.

The directory path to $HOME should be executable by "others" and the
.rhosts file should be readable by "others".  Adding or removing "user"
or "group" permission bits, or the write or execute "others" bits to
.rhosts does not alter this.  Same idea for .plan files on machines
with fingerd not suid root, and for .forward files when the mail server
is not the home filesystem server.

To let someone with the same username as yours log in to your account
from another machine without typing the password, set the "user read" bit.
:-)

(To let your .netrc file work with ftp, make sure that .netrc does NOT
have group or world read, write, or executable bits set on it.)

The above is true of the Suns and aix machines I have seen.

Brian Fitzgerald