suspend process question

Jerry Peek jerry at ora.com
Thu Feb 7 03:39:17 AEST 1991

davis at pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu  (John E. Davis) writes:
>    I have a program running in the background ...
> I would like to be able to start and stop the program at will... I
> cannot do `stop %3' or whatever since the shell is not aware of the child...
>    What I currently do is to do `ps -aux | grep sline' (sline is the name of
> the program) to get the pid, `pid', then do `kill -STOP `pid'' ...
>    Is there an easier way???  How can I avoid getting the pid of the program
> via `ps -aux' ...

A while ago, I used a program called sysline(1) that updated the status
line.  It had a command line option that meant "write your PID to standard
output."  You could grab that number in a file at startup:
	# start sysline program; store its PID in "$HOME/.sysline.pid":
	sysline -D -l -p -i > ~/.sysline.pid

Then cat the file when you needed to send a signal.  I think I used an alias:
	alias usysline 'blah blah; kill -ALRM `cat ~/.sysline.pid`'

I also had another setup that worked on multiple terminals at once.
It stored the PID in an environment variable, I think.  But you get the idea.

--Jerry Peek, O'Reilly & Associates Inc., jerry at ora.com