A pleasant alternate to lp and lpr

John S. Wainscott jw at crystal1.UUCP
Thu Feb 21 07:26:23 AEST 1991

So, you say you're tired of lp, tried of the hassle with setting up new
printers, well have I got a utility for you...

There is a company in Great Britain called, Xi-Software, that has a print
spooler, Qprint.

Qprint allows the system manager to grant any of a variety of permissions
to individual users.  The system manager can give a user the ability to

    * Stop the spooler

    * Change the current form

    * Start/stop printers

    * Edit other users' permissions

and other useful abilities.  Qprint is also much more friendly than lp.
Users can interactively view the print queue and see what's printing
and what's waiting.  With a single keypress you can bump up/down the
priority of print jobs, abort jobs, hold the job on the queue until
whenever, etc.

Another benefit is that you don't have to search thru countless
directories looking for the right lp command, interface file, or form name.
I've been using Qprint for about a year and now lp just seems like a bad
dream.

In the United States, Qprint is distributed by Software Clearing House,
Inc.  I do the technical support for Qprint here at S.C.H. AND use the
software frequently so I know of what I speak.

If you would like more information about Qprint and how it will
make your printing life easier, send your name, company name, and phone #
to info at sch.com or send me a message at jw at sch.com if you have any technical
questions.

John Wainscott                        jw at sch.com
Technical Support                     info at sch.com