Help with Tail & Egrep

Rob Dale Rob.Dale at samba.acs.unc.edu
Fri Feb 15 07:28:19 AEST 1991

I need some help on using tail and egrep together...

Let me explain the situation here first... I use the following command

tail +f severe.18 | egrep "KIND|KCLE|KCHI"&

to watch the end of file "severe.18" for any weather reports from Indianapolis
Cleveland or Chicago.  The problem is that is doesn't give me a notice until
>10 line of new stuff is present.  Say for example the last two lines of the
file are

WWUS35 KIND 180213
SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT

I will not get a notice from egrep until roughly 10 more lines come into the
file.  However if I use the command

tail + severe.18 | egrep "KIND|KCLE|KCHI"

then it will notify me immediately that the line is there, but then it doesn't
sit and wait for more data to be appended on to the file.  Does anyone have
a hint here??

Rob Dale ---- Purdue University Atmospheric Sciences
         ---- Rob.Dale at samba.acs.unc.edu